I’ve heard that there are many similarities between Islam and Mormonism. After a quick search I found these.
- Joseph Smith was visited by the angel Moroni. Muhammad was visited by Gabriel.
- Both Muhammad and Joseph Smith were given visions.
- Both Muhammad and Joseph Smith claimed that Christianity was at one time the true religion, but lost the truth at some point.
- Both claimed that the Bible is corrupted and unreliable.
- Both wrote their own book, supposedly inspired by God.
- Both men claimed to be illiterate, but miraculously wrote their respective “holy books.”
- Both the Koran and the Book of Mormon are based on a record stored in heaven. Islam has the “mother book,” and Mormonism has the golden Nephi plates.
- Both men were polygamists with many wives.
- Both claimed to be the final prophet of God.
Those are amazing similarities for two religions founded about 1,200 years apart.
2 Corinthians 11:14 comes to mind: For Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. Could it be that Joseph Smith and Muhammad were deceived into thinking they were speaking to an angel? The similarities between these religions suggest that Satan isn’t that creative in founding new religions that twist the truth of the Bible.